Thank you to Jack “Coach” Fontenot for submitting this recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 to 8 tbsp of cocoa
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, margarine, or shortening
- 2 cups of bulk artificial sweetener: i.e. splenda or sugar twin
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cake or pkg. active dry yeast softened in 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Stir flour, cocoa, soda, and salt together.
- Cream shortening with artificial sweetener in mixer.
- Add eggs, cup of buttermilk, and vanilla to creamed mixture.
- Beat well. Stir in dry ingredients, then:
- Beat 5 to 6 minutes.
- If batter seems too heavy add a bit more milk.
- Fold batter into greased and floured bundt or tube pan and allow to stand, covered for 1-2 hours until you see at least a bit of expansion in the cake batter.
- Bake in a 30 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until done. Test for done-ness of this cake by inserting a toothpick into the cake (Dry toothpick = done cake).
- Allow cake to cool at least 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a cake plate.
- Once cooled, you can sprinkle with powdered sugar if you want more calories.. do NOT ice.